Friday, April 26, 2013

April's Pink Moon with a Hat. Thursday's Partial Eclipse

One of an excellent sequence of images of the Partial Lunar Eclipse, April 25, 2013, approximately seven minutes prior to maximum coverage. The face of the Moon is subdued in the penumbra of Earth's shadow, while the long and pointed umbra intersects the far north [Lupu Victor].
My Old Farmers Almanac (2013) reminds me the Full Moon of 25 April is traditionally called the "Pink Moon," but the transitory moment when the Moon was full, Thursday afternoon, came and went before moonrise, in the middle of the afternoon in North America.

Had I been in Romania, however, I might have been in Baia Mare, Maramures, with Lupu Victor, and the moment of "fullness" would have occurred simultaneous to the Moon's encounter with the edge of Earth's far-reaching shadow.

It appears projections of a dull eclipse made here the day prior might seem a bit of Aesop's "Sour Grapes," because from Lupu's well accomplished sequence published on his website, the Solar System's record cold temperature at Hermite crater may, if possible, have become colder still!

"On the evening of April 25, 2013, I prepared my 8 " telescope, and installed on the balcony at 21:00.

"It was a very beautiful and serene night, so I think I was very lucky as the weather was favorable for observations with, or without a telescope.

"I've photographed the event before, during and after till 11:29 p.m..

"I've replaced a few moments the Nikon camera, with the video camera Sony CX130 and I've filmed the Moon with zoom to see the shaded area and how craters looks in these conditions.

"By 00:30 I was able to put the first DSLR photos of the event. In this article, I've posted the same photos with Nikon D80,  Exposure 1/500, but with a lower ISO of only 200, compared to the previous article photos, made ​​with ISO 500.

"It was my choice to photograph all the event by these two ISO settings: 200 and 500.

"The images are in chronological order from 10:35 p.m. to 11:29 p.m."

View the images at Lupu's website, HERE.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your appreciation. :)